Donnerstag, 20. Februar 2014

Home office makeover - part 1 /Büro-Renovierung Teil 1

Those of you who followed my blog for some time might have read about my new home office I built in 2010. Unfortunately it wasn't used very much as I wasn't living in the house at that time.

Since we've moved in I wanted to use the office again but then we've found mould behind one of the cupboards.

So, now there's going to be another makeover.

First, I had to sort everything that was in the office (and it was really much to sort).

So long!

Diejenigen von Euch, die meinem Blog schon etwas länger folgen, haben vielleicht damals schon mitgelesen, als ich 2010 mein Büro renoviert habe. Damals war meine eigentliche Wohnung aber 500m entfernt und so bin ich immer seltener ins Büro gegangen (zum Schluss gar nicht mehr) und das Büro wurde wenig genutzt und noch weniger geheizt. Frau will ja schließlich wenig Energie verbrauchen.

Seitdem wir im Sommer 2013 umgezogen sind und nun im gleichen Haus wohnen, war es mein Wunsch, das Büro zu reaktivieren. Dabei fanden wir dann Schimmelflecken hinter einem der Schränke, den wir an eine Außenwand gestellt hatten.

Also renovieren wir das Büro erneut :-)

Zu allererst aber musste ich meine Unterlagen und meine Nähutensilien sortieren (und in drei Jahren fällt erschreckend viel an).

Bilder folgen heute im Laufe des Tages!

Bis bald!

Montag, 17. Februar 2014

A new old top

I always wanted a nice Union Flag top but whenever I saw one it just wasn't right. So I grabbed some fabric painting and an old white top and here's the result. Frankly, I love it!

It's very easy to do. I didn't want the result to be perfect in colour because once this is washed several times the colour will come of a bit so I painted it irregular.

Let it dry completely and iron it for 3mins using the linen temperature on your iron.

So long!

Freitag, 14. Februar 2014

New dress pattern

I do love a nice dress. But since I'm 5'11" buying dresses (or any kind of clothing) is rather diffcult for me. Today I bought a new sewing pattern for a summer dress. I printed all 49 pages and solved the jigsaw. I'm not sure I like printing patterns better than copying them ;-)

The first three pages. And the pile of sheets that still had to be put together right next to them.

Although it takes some time, the system is very easy to use. Just match the markings.

About halfway through.

The whole pattern put together. It took me about an hour to get this far.

Cutting the right lines and adjusting it to my measurements.

This is a pattern for tall women so I won't have to alter much in length front or back. I only need to do a FBA (full bust alteration) but I kind of cheated here and cut out some parts 2 sizes bigger.

The next step is to sew the bodice using some old cheap fabric to see where the pattern has to be altered further.

I'm planning to do at least two versions of the dress. A long one for summer and a short one made from gray silk for my son's first holy communion celebration in April.

Wish me luck!

So long!

Donnerstag, 13. Februar 2014

Upcycling - from trousers to skirt

I really loved these jeans but I outgrew them. So I decided to repurpose them and made myself a new skirt since my old skirt finally gave up after 5 years.

I cut the jeans in half and cut two pieces from each part.

 Finally I added the old pockets a little below their former place.

Time: about 2 hours
Material: 1 old pair of jeans, jeans scraps (about 3 inches wide and 1 yard long)

So long!

Mittwoch, 12. Februar 2014

Finished Quilt Top

Finally!!! I finally managed to finish the quilt top. It's now about 52" * 77" ( 196cm*133cm) and ready to be quilted.

I also fixed it to the batting and the back. I chose a cotton batting (and will probably never do so again - it's soooo messy).

Now I just have to quilt it. Unfortunately my free motion quilting didn't work as well as I hoped so I will just to a boring pattern following all the original seams.

Hopefully see you soon!